Let’s face it—social media is everywhere these days. In fact, studies show that as many as 77% of American adults have at least one active social media profile.
The growing presence and effects of social media on a brand or business are virtually inescapable. While each platform has it’s own unique demographic and user trends, there are an array of disadvantages and advantages across the board with each of the most popular social media platforms.
Here are some of the top advantages and disadvantages associated with social media, as well as what impact they can potentially have on your company.
Social Media Advantages
- A worldwide audience—one of the most apparent “pluses” of having an established social media presence is the instant connectivity on a global scale.
- Quick connections—Reaching a seemingly endless amount of prospective clients almost immediately is a valuable asset when you seek to stay relevant. Generating leads is easily attainable with an active social media presence.
- Power in numbers—A large number of popular platforms can also be used to your advantage. Extending your brand’s reach across the most used social media networks allows you to cast a wider net over diverse target audiences that utilize each of them.
- Advertisement and/or page content can be optimized appropriately to suit the individual demographics of users.
- Valuable insight—along with a direct connection to consumers comes the ability to identify what is important to them, specifically analyzing topics, groups, and pages they “like” or follow.
- Tailoring your content to correlate with their interests boosts your odds of gaining followers and conversion rates as well.
- Reflecting on reviews—researching and reading reviews of your company’s page/content/products is an effective tool for refining what doesn’t work, and more heavily promoting what does.
- Social media marketing, when done successfully, gives you the ability to reflect on your own performance, as well as the competition’s, in order to optimize your sales and marketing approach.
- Evaluating your performance is crucial to staying relevant and interesting to your target audience, as well as improving your chances to attract future followers and customers.
- A thorough critique offers both positive reinforcement and constructive criticism to benefit your overall effectiveness.
- Ability to create original content—for free! We can’t fail to mention the value of being able to create and post organic content on your company’s page or profile, which is basically a free advertising opportunity for your brand.
- You get to be in control of what is posted, as well as the design and layout, depending upon which social media platform you are using.
- Videos, photos, text, and more are all possibilities for connecting directly to your audience in a truly authentic way.
- The most popular, widely-used social media platforms are not only free to post content on—but they’re also free to join! This is a major perk in social media marketing and advertising world.
- Potential clients and customers from all backgrounds, ages, and socioeconomic statuses are able to meet and converge in the same digital space.
- Option for paid ad placement—In addition to (or in lieu of) creating and posting your own original content to connect with potential customers, you can also take advantage of the various paid advertisement plans offered by various social media networks.
- Pricing, frequency, and content offerings vary by platform, giving you the freedom to choose where and how often you are advertising on a particular network.
- Targeted ads allow you the chance to have your brand/products seen by those who may not have come across them otherwise, increasing the likelihood of a consumer clicking on and visiting your site.
- Social media marketing and advertising professionals will be able to successfully plan, launch, and maintain content and/or ad placement as needed.
- Building brand loyalty. Another advantage that comes along with repeated exposure to your brand or company name is that it builds loyalty among current or prospective customers.
- People tend to flock to brands they feel like they know and trust, increasing the possibility of retaining their attention and converting them from simply a site visitor to a recurring customer.
- The “sharing” capability of social media networks can also be highly beneficial. Being able to share, retweet, pin, etc. affords you the chance to reach even more people than you may otherwise not be able to do.
Social Media Disadvantages
- Time-consuming—along with all of the positive aspects that come with instant connectivity is the fact that staying timely and relevant on platforms that are constantly updating and changing.
- The need to keep up with the competition at an accelerated rate can also seem anxiety-inducing, particularly when coupled with all of the other responsibilities that come with launching and successfully running a business.
- Social media marketing professionals possess the time, tools, resources, and strategies necessary to keep your brand or company name at the forefront of the social media platform you choose to use, allowing you to use your time growing your business in other pertinent areas.
- The potential for negative feedback—along with the power of positive praise comes to the risk of receiving poor reviews—whether true or not.
- Unfortunately, the lightning speed at which social media operates can also backfire when someone is spreading information about your business in a negative light.
- This is another instance when having a professional social media team or consultant on your side can be extremely beneficial—even crucial—to maintain your good name and reputation.
Leave it to the pros at NCDA
In order to combat the added stress that can accompany the frequent need for updating your social media content, consider procuring the services of a professional social media management agency.
NetConnect Digital Agency is the #1 provider in the Pennsylvania area, and one of the most trusted names in the nation. NCDA offers stellar services at affordable rates, so you can entrust all of your social media marketing and advertising needs to them without worry—and without blowing your budget.
When you’re ready to grow your business at an exponential rate, reach out to the experts at NetConnect Digital Agency. Call or visit NetConnect Digital Agency to see what they have to offer today.